Pages

Monday 31 December 2018

Summer Learning Journey for Monday 31/12/18

Michelle
Date: Monday 31 December 2018
Title: Summer Learning Journey

Day 2


Type all five sentences and then fill in the blanks for each one
Activity 1:

  • The word ‘bumblebee’ is a compound word (bumble + bee). The word ‘bumble’ means to ____move_or__act_in_confused__manner_______________.
  • Bumblebees can fly very quickly. They can reach ground speeds of ___54___ kilometres per hour (km/h).
  • Bumblebees are very strong! They carry up to __90__ percent of their body weight in food with them to avoid starvation.
  • Bumblebees can do more work and carry more pollen than other bees, including honeybees. In fact, they can do up to   ___50___ times as much work as a normal honeybee.
  • The number of bumblebees is declining in New Zealand due to a number of factors, including the  _____Key__Food__Source__________.








List all of the foods that you would put in your special draining sink
Activity 2:

These are my 5 disgusting food options that I listed to drain down my special sink.

  • Brussel sprout
  • Oyster
  • Sea Snail
  • Kumara
  • Avocado



Image result for sea snail   Image result for brussel sprouts  Image result for kumara  Image result for avocadoImage result for oyster











Tell us how you would solve this tricky maths problem. Be sure to also post your final answer in days or weeks.
Activity 3:

Let’s imagine that we tested the air in your classroom and found 7 different kinds of mould. Eek! The cleaner says that it takes 5 days for each mould to be eradicated (removed). If the school had to remove each mould one at a time, how long would it take to remove all the mould from the classroom?
The question is asked how long would it take to remove all the mould from the classroom?  They found 7 different kind of moulds and it takes 5 days for the mould to be removed.
My answer - 7 x 5 = it would take 35 days to remove all the mould from the classroom.



1 comment:

  1. Kia ora Michelle,

    My name is Hazel and I am part of the Summer Learning Journey team. Congratulations on finishing the programme! That must have taken a lot of time, and I can see that you put a lot of effort into your posts - ka pai!

    Well done working out the answers to the bumblebee facts. I know some people are afraid of and/or allergic to bumblebees, but I think they're quite beautiful.

    I really like that you included photos for activity number two. I would definitely agree with the first three foods on your list - yuck! However I love kumara and avocados. Instead of those, I think I would put coffee and fish down the drain. What are some of your favourite foods?

    Great job solving the maths problem for activity three! Do you enjoy maths at school?

    Once again, well done completing all of the SLJ activities, and I hope that you enjoy the rest of your summer holidays.

    Hazel :)

    ReplyDelete